One for fans of the nations favourite chocolate spread! The Nutella Knutsford Knud is made with chocolate chip cookies, hazelnuts, milk chocolate, and a big dollop of Nutella.
For those who love a Ferrero Rocher, this one's finished with a chocolate & chopped hazelnut coating you'll adore.
Nutella Knutsford Knud Recipe
- 150g unsalted butter - cut into cubes (see hint below)
- 4 tbsp golden syrup
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 50g milk chocolate (35%) - chopped into chunks
- 125g chocolate chip cookies (e.g Maryland cookies) - broken into pieces no bigger than 1cm
- 40g hazelnuts - roughly chopped
- 40g Rice Krispies
- 75g Nutella
- 100g milk chocolate (35%)
- 20g hazelnuts - finely chopped
Hint: DO NOT substitute the butter for margarine. The high water content in margarine makes the Rice Krispies & biscuits go soft, so the Knud loses it's signature crispy texture
- Melt the base: Add the butter, golden syrup, cocoa powder, and chopped chocolate to a large glass bowl. Set the bowl over a pan of simmering water (don't let the bowl touch the water). Stir continuously until the chocolate and butter completely melt to a smooth consistency.
- Flavour with Nutella: Remove from the heat, add the Nutella, stir until melted.
- Mix the Knud mixture: Tip in the cookie chunks, chopped hazelnuts, and Rice Krispies. Mix well.
- Prepare the tin: Lay a piece of clingfilm over a traybake or swiss roll tin, letting it hang over all the sides.
- Shape the Knud: Spoon the Knud mixture along one long edge of the tin, pressing it slightly against the sides to start forming a log shape. Carefully use the clingfilm to lift the mixture and roll it tightly, twisting the ends of the clingfilm as you go until you have a firm cylinder. Secure the ends by tucking them under the clingfilm flap.
- Chill and set: Place the rolled Knud in the fridge for at least 2 hours to let it firm up (see Tip 3 below)
- Unwrap: Remove the clingfilm and let the Knud sit on baking paper at room temperature for about 30 minutes.
- Chocolate coating: Melt the remaining 100g of chocolate, stir the extra chopped hazelnuts through the melted chocolate. To make it easier, stand the Knud on one end and use a palette knife to spread the coating evenly over the entire surface. Finish with the ends.
- Decorate and enjoy: Let the chocolate coating harden completely, then slice and serve.
Nutella Knutsford Knud Recipe Tips:
Tip 1: Crunchier cookies are better for this recipe. I used a softer cookie for my first attempt, but the taste and texture were much improved when I swapped to a crunchy Maryland chocolate chip cookie.
Tip 2: As when making any type of Knutsford Knud, letting the mixture cool slightly before you roll it can make it easier to shape.
Tip 3: Giving the clingfilm wrapped Knud a gentle roll about 1 hour into the chilling time will help keep the cylinder shape by preventing too much of a flat bottom.
Tip 4: Mixing the chopped hazelnuts through the melted chocolate coating gives this Knud distinctive Fererro Rocher vibes. Just make sure you finely chop the nuts to make it easier to spread the chocolate.